Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Mystery Quilt Top


 Well, the mystery quilt top is finally done.  It was a project begun during an in-house quilt retreat offered by my favorite shop in Reno, Sierra Sewing.  The instructions were to bring ¼ yard solid accent, 2 yards background and 2 ¼ yards focus fabric (of course I bought extra), along with all the normal scissors, rotary cutter, cutting board, etc.

What a nice retreat. The retreat was limited, but enough to make it social. The participants were mothers and daughters, neighbors, sisters, friends. They fed us snacks, meals (killer lasagna made by the owner!) Oh, and there is a coffee place/smoothie place right across the parking lot. What more could you ask for? Well we asked to have a sleepover in the store the next time  J Big girl pajama party! Not that anyone really plans on much sleeping!

The pattern turned out to be the Chained Nine-Patch from Twisted Classics by Jeannie Stauffer and Sandra L Hatch. This was my first go at paper piecing. I will give it another try, but not a fan at this point—removing the papers is a bit aggravating to me.

Michelle HIbbitt was the instructor. She was very good, and helped with ironing and seam ripping <sigh>. She had the clues (steps) cleverly done, and paced them well to the tenor of our particular group. Everyone got their picture taken with the finished portion of their quilt. We all brought an apple recipe and are anxiously awaiting our class recipe/scrap book.

It did turn out so nice that I wanted to make it bigger, so the delay has been that I have been agonizing over the borders. I finally decided on those, and ta-dah!! Now it is on to backing it and then basting it together.  I will be hand quilting it, not quite decided how yet. Some ideas, but I don’t have to make that decision until it is basted and ready for marking. Probably get to this over the weekend.

I think the next project is a flannel quilt that is not a rag quilt. Patchwork Pennies by All Through the Night-Folk Art designs with a bit of Whimsy-Designed by Bonnie Sullivan. Seems we have been forecast a   long, wet (in the form of snow) winter  L I am not a fan of snow. At least you do not have to shovel rain!

No comments:

Post a Comment